If you are looking for an aesthetic solution to a mild to moderate dental problem, dental veneers can be your top choice. When deciding if veneers are for you, here are some things you may want to keep in mind.
What are Dental Veneers?
Veneers are thin shell-like materials that are placed directly on top of the tooth surface. Unlike crowns that are typically used for molars, veneers are often used for incisors and cuspids because they provide an esthetic purpose. Veneers are used to cover up any imperfections on the front teeth, ranging from chipped or fractured teeth to misshapen and badly stained teeth. Many celebrities and famous people have used veneers to cover up their dental imperfections.
Types of Dental Veneers
Two materials are used for creating veneers. They are:
- Porcelain or ceramic. Porcelain veneers have a very esthetically pleasing effect. They are perfect for smile makeovers because the color of the tooth can be adjusted perfectly. They are preferable for covering up major damage like large fractures and oddly shaped teeth. However, they are more expensive than composite material.
- Composite resin. If you prefer a most cost-effective choice, composite resin is an alternative that you can consider. Unlike porcelain that needs to be manufactured in a laboratory, composite resin is simply molded by our dentist onto the surface of your tooth. It is perfect for covering up minor damages like small chips and cracks. Composite resin also bonds to the tooth material and the enamel absorbs it, which means it becomes an actual part of the tooth over time. This makes composite resin very tough and long-lasting.
Dental Veneer Procedure
First, Dr. Abir Faraj at Novi Family Dentistry in Novi, MI, will discuss the treatment options with you so that you will be well-informed about the choices you have. If veneers are the agreed treatment for your dental case, Dr. Faraj will schedule an appointment for the actual trimming and fitting. For porcelain veneers, you will need two dental visits to complete the veneer installation. However, if composite resin is suitable for your case, you will need only one visit.
Before the veneers are placed, Dr. Faraj will first trim down the surface of your tooth. Since veneers will need to take up space on the front part of your tooth, approximately 1 millimeter of enamel will be buffed off the surface. After the tooth has been prepared, the following procedures will vary based on the material used. For porcelain, Dr. Faraj will need to take a mold of your tooth and send it to a dental laboratory where the actual veneer will be created. For composite resin, Dr. Faraj will simply apply the material and smooth it on the surface of your tooth, then let it dry.
To complete the porcelain veneer, you will need to come back for a second visit when the actual veneer is finished. It will be fitted, trimmed and shaped to exactly match your tooth. Once it’s ready, it will be cemented onto your tooth using an adhesive.
Unlike porcelain, composite resin doesn’t require an adhesive because of the bonding effect that it has on the natural tooth tissue. Dr. Faraj will just use a special curing light to harden the resin and let it bond completely with the tooth.
Benefits of Dental Veneers
You will benefit from using veneers because:
- You don’t need to reduce the healthy tooth material. Only a very small amount of enamel will be removed, unlike in crowns where the tooth needs to be shaped into an abutment.
- Your tooth can be esthetically adjusted without invasive procedures. You don’t need anesthesia or any surgical equipment to get veneers.
- You will get an evenly sized and shaped tooth. Veneers will not only cover up imperfections but also make your tooth more proportional in appearance.
- Your insecurities about your dental problems will be resolved. You don’t have to worry about your unsightly dental problems anymore after getting veneers.
Dental Veneers at Novi Family Dentistry in Novi, MI
If you would like more information, including dental veneers cost, contact Novi Family Dentistry at (248) 946-8611, simply visit us, and we will be more than happy to assist you. Our dentist Dr. Abir Faraj will give you a complete dental examination and schedule your appointment for the veneer fitting and installation.