An Overview of Crowns
Crowns, also called caps, are used to cover up damaged teeth. The crown is made of a strong material that is fitted over your damaged tooth. The tooth will be trimmed down into an abutment upon which the crown will be cemented. Crowns are durable and cost-efficient, perfect for patients who have a limited budget.
Materials for Crowns
There are three materials used in making crowns, which are:
- Porcelain. This material provides the best results, both aesthetically and functionally. Porcelain can be blended to match the exact color of the teeth and also has a translucent appearance that makes it look like natural teeth. However, concerns on the durability of this material arise, especially for patients who have bad dental habits, because porcelain can crack or chip under extreme pressure.
- Gold. For those who need strong dental restorations because of bad dental habits (tooth grinding and jaw clenching), gold is the most preferable material because of its strength and durability. However, it has an unnatural appearance and can be expensive.
- Porcelain infused with metal. This material is durable and also offers the same esthetic effect as pure porcelain. However, it has a thicker size because of the underlying metal substance and may require more trimming on the abutment tooth to allow enough space for the crown to fit.
When are Dental Crowns Used?
You should get a crown if:
You have a chipped or fractured tooth
You have a decayed tooth with very little healthy material left
You don’t want to have your damaged tooth extracted
Depending on your dental condition, our dentist at Novi Family Dentistry, Dr. Abir Faraj, may recommend a crown to restore your dental health.
Dental Crowns Procedure
First, you will be examined by our dentist to ensure that you are fit to receive a crown. Next, the damaged tooth will be trimmed to the shape of an abutment. A mold of your teeth will be taken and this will be used as the reference in making your crown. For porcelain crowns, the color of your teeth also will be considered to match with the crowns. The mold will be sent to a laboratory for manufacturing. Meanwhile, a temporary crown will be placed on your abutment.
On your next visit, the temporary crown will be removed and the finished crown will be placed on your abutment tooth to check the fit. The crown will be cemented in place and your dental restoration will be finished.
Advantages of Dental Crowns
Crowns are ideal to get because:
- They are cheaper than most cosmetic treatments. While implants can cost up to $5,000, dental crowns cost around $400-$500.
- They are made of durable materials. Similar to veneers, crowns are very strong and can endure regular chewing and biting pressure.
- They are long-lasting. If properly maintained, crowns can last up to 10 or more years, or even a lifetime.
- They improve your appearance. Crowns are esthetically pleasing and restore an almost natural appearance in your mouth.
Getting Dental Crowns from Novi Family Dentistry in Novi, MI
Novi Family Dentistry provides complete dental restoration treatments, including crowns. If you would like to get a crown, simply pay us a visit and we will be happy to assist you. Our dentist Dr. Abir Faraj will give you a complete dental examination to decide if a crown is the right dental restoration for you. Call us to set up an appointment at (248) 946-8611.